Johnson Family

Sunday, February 03, 2008

A romantic getaway?

Let's rewind our story to Christmas....Christmas morning I gave Pete his gift, two tickets to see Wicked in Chicago. I had originally tried to buy tickets when Wicked came to town a few years ago, but they didn't even last 5 min, so I knew it was something he would love and the timing seemed good. I managed to keep the gift a secret, which is something I have only managed to do one other Christmas and that when we were dating. I picked the first weekend in February thinking, hmmm, nice timing, not too close to Valentines, my mom was available to babysit and February 1st isn't too busy.

Sooo, along comes the cold snap, and freezes all the slush. Pete was at work with his dad picking up a trailer Thursday morning when he fell hard on the ice and heard lots of cracking and popping. After a trip to Urgent Care, I got a call from Pete letting me know he had a high ankle sprain. Whew! Our trip was still on. Friday morning we woke up and I noticed my eye was a little swollen. Hmm, not my best look, but not too serious, the trip must go on! We arrived at the train station Friday morning (we thought we would try the train instead of driving or flying) and found out our 7:45 departure was delayed until 11:00. Agg! It takes 8 hours to get to Chicago and we will now arrive at 7:00. We remained calm, called the hotel and let them know we would check-in after the 8pm show and found out the theater would hold our luggage.
We made it safe and sound to Wicked with 45min to spare rather than our 4 hours and got a little something to eat a the cafe next door.
Wicked was wonderful! We loved the songs, the story, everything.

Next we headed off to the hotel. We checked into our king room with no trouble and were excited to try out the Tempur-Pedic beds that we were told every room had (which is why we paid a little extra to stay there). Upon arriving we noted that the mattress looked and felt just like a traditional spring mattress and upon further inspection it was just that....
"Hello, front desk? This is Mr. Johnson, we were told your hotel had Tempur-Pedic beds when we booked and it was our reason for choosing your hotel. Do you have a room with a Tempur-Pedic bed availalbe?"
"Yes, Mr. Johnson, we do, however it is a queen size room, will that be ok?"
"Yes, that will be fine, I will meet you at the elevator to exchange keys." :o)

"Hello, front desk? This is Mr. Johnson again. I don't want to seem pesky, but this queen bed is not a Tempur-Pedic...."
"So sorry Mr. Johnson, I see that we have a double bed availalbe that is a Tempur-Pedic and I can give you $75 food credit."
"Ok, we will do that since we want to try out this bed."

"Hello, front desk? This is Mr. Johnson again, perhaps we are not communicating very well as to what a Tempur-Pedic bed is, but these double beds are not Tempur-Pedic...."
"Yes, Mr. Johnson, it looks like all our Tempur-Pedic rooms are all booked for the night, we only have 10 of those beds. Would you like a suite and $75 food credit?"
"Ahhhh, ok."

So at about 12:30am we reached our final room, which was very nice, minus the Tempur-Pedic bed and ordered some dinner.
Next morning I woke up with a very swollen eye, may I be the first to draw the similarity to a somewhat well know charcter...
We checked out of our hotel, got some pizza at Gino's, which was fabulous and headed back to the train station to catch our ride out of Chicago.

Our train left on time and we put our worries behind us, everything went great until we hit the boonies of MN. All the sudden our train comes to a stop and the conductor and engineer come walking down the isle. Hmmm, very odd, but everything still seems ok, the train is running we are happy. I thought I would check out some reading and went to flip on my overhead light. Click....engine shutdown, light go out, all is quiet and then the emergency lights flip on. Ahhh! what did I do! Pete looks at me and shouts over the dead quiet, "Jessica! What did you do!" Nothing in fact, just very nice timing. Soon our train was running again and my lights no longer caused massive shut down.
We made it home on time, thanked my mom for watching Titus, peaked in to see him peacefully sleeping and went to bed.

Sunday morning we woke up to coughing over the monitor and a croupy little boy. Uggg. 10:00am we decided it was bad, we need to get to a Dr. Off we run to Urgent Care to get meds and a nebulizer for Titus. Happily we got sent to the front of the line, so we only ended up in the office for 1.5 hours and got everything under control.
All in all a very eventful weekend that was supposed to be a relaxing getaway, but turned into a very comical, crazy and painful (literally) adventure. :o)

4 Comments:

  • At February 04, 2008 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow what a crazy trip!!! Is your eye better? I'm glad you liked Wicked. That is so cool you got a nicer room even though you didn't get the mattress you wanted. I hope Titus is feeling better soon!

     
  • At February 06, 2008 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love your story. You'll have to write a children's book or maybe an adult illustrated book about your adventure. The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray to quote a famous play. Anyway, good for you guys sticking it out and thank the Lord for a safe home. Get better, Titus. And oh ya, Peter and Jess too.
    Sandy and Hope

     
  • At February 11, 2008 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WOW - what a tale! Definitely a weekend to remember, huh?! Hope Titus is feeling better and you get to try out a Tempur-Pedic mattress soon. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your eye?

     
  • At February 12, 2008 5:04 PM, Blogger michelle said…

    what a crazy story! thanks for sharing. hope all you johnsons have recovered and are feeling better now. now you've got me all curious to see wicked... someday.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home